Why Affiliate with the Republican Party?
What is the Republican Party?
The Republican Party is the political party that best represents and believes what is on the mind of America. According to the annual Battleground Poll*, 59% of Americans identify themselves as “conservatives” and are opposed to the policies that are now so evident in Washington. (Only 34% call themselves “liberals”).
The Republican Party does not tell anyone what to think or say. Unlike other parties, Republicans are free to disagree on issues and often have vigorous debates about what the party should stand for. This exchange of ideas makes the Party stronger and keeps Party leaders in touch with our base. We do not abandon the issues for power, political expediency or to avoid a disagreement. To Republicans, issues matter!
Unfortunately, for a number of years, some of the elected Officials in our party drifted away from the conservative principles that are the foundation of what Republicans believe. As a result, we have seen the advent of the Tea Party, 9-12 Groups, and other conservative “grassroots” organizations. Activism is effective and Party leaders at home and in Washington have listened. This is as it should be!
There is plenty of room in the Republican Party for conservatives to have an open dialogue about how to best represent fiscal responsibility, limited government, individual freedom, free enterprise and a strong national defense. Please become active and engage the discussion. In 1994, Haley Barbour (former Republican National Committee Chairman - now Governor of Mississippi) made a speech about being a Republican. His words, below, continue to ring true today and exemplify what the Jefferson County Republican Party is striving to be.
I Am a Republican Because . . .
- I believe the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.
- I believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.
- I believe free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.
- I believe government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.
- I believe the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.
- I believe the most effective, responsible and responsive government is the government closest to the people.
- I believe Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.
- I believe Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.
- Finally, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.
If these statements reflect your values, then we encourage you to join the Republican Party.
Jeffco Republican Party
* Battleground Poll conducted by The Tarrance Group and Lake Research Partners, April 5-8, 2010 (as presented in American Thinker , June 1, 2010).